GM League  

Go Back   GM League > Forums > Other Sports

Other Sports All the other stuff not covered. Also includes Fantasy Baseball & Fantasy Hockey

Old 01-10-2019, 02:34 PM

Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,048 Posts
Groans: 47
Groaned at 74 Times in 72 Posts
Hammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond repute

january 10th: ricochet vs chris hero

hero using his old chikara theme... or, i guess its probably just his independent theme, but i know it from that brief moment that chikara was the most entertaining indy on the planet. ricochet out to generic rock music. this announcers high pitched squealing is already annoying.

hero in control early with submission and transition offense. logical sense from hero to keep this grounded, with all the high paced high flying based offensive moves of ricochet.

great spot where ricochet is getting in the groove with all his repeat kip ups, and hero just walks over and hits him with a jab. a bit of a chuckle out of me.

hero being a step ahead of all of ricochets flippy nonsense is making this very entertaining to me.

those kicks from hero look quite brutal. good selling from ricochet on them.

i gotta say, fat chris hero today is still pretty damn good in the ring. i really like this chris hero though. i was well out of the independent loop by this point, so i really only caught some of his earlier stuff with claudio/cesaro as the kow. i love his offense in this match.

"youre still a 16 year old bitch" i like you chris hero. i would buy you a beer.

man that cravate suplex was awesome. he tossed him by his neck.

i dont know what im doing more... enjoying chris hero, or hating the commentators. ricochet is kind of along for the ride on both sides.

ricochet kicking out of everything is getting a bit tedious. youve told his story in this match, youve gotten him over in my eyes as a kid who wont quit... the roaring elbow to the back of the head shouldve been the finish.

and the second one definitely shouldve been the finish. come on now.

we ended up going through all of ricochets spots in the last minute and a half or so, and he finally closes it with the 630. i was really digging this match early, the finish kinda dropped it a bit for me, but im still fine around 3 stars. heros offense was very fun, and convincing with submissions and strikes. the early story on ricochet not being the same little kid that he was when they first battled years back was played well, but it got tedious at the end. he took about 400 strikes to the head, and then just got up and started doing all his flips. meh. fun little match, but it started off like it could be really good, and kinda tapered off for me towards the end.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:22 PM

Hammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond repute

january 11th: johnny curtis and tyler reks vs the hart dynasty

its at about 33:14 of the youtube video, so you dont have to go through the entire show featuring such luminaries as kafu, black pain, eric escobar, hade vansen, and a bunch of guys/gals i didnt care enough to find out who they were. and sheamus was there too.

Spoiler
Formerly Known (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 09:44 PM
2016 & 2017 Mach Draft Contest Winner

Thanked 2,773 Times in 2,242 Posts
Groans: 181
Groaned at 127 Times in 122 Posts
Formerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I've had this one done since New Year's Eve, as well. Thanks, though, I need to edit the times into the first post when I get to the matches first.

Match of the Day #11
January 11, 2009

From FCW (The developmental territory that morphed into NXT) TV #15

Florida Tag Team Championship: Johnny Curtis & Tyler Reks vs. TJ Wilson & DH Smith

The Hart Dynasty are heels here, based on the crowd reaction. And Fandango and Reks also get a heel reaction here. Huh. Maybe that crowd is weird. I might rewatch this just to post all the greatness of Dusty on commentary.

Reks and TJ start. Mat wrestling to start, and Reks frustrates TJ. TJ grabs a head lock and holds on by the hair. He gets shoulderblocked down, and Curtis is tagged in with a big clothesline. Curtis works the arm and gets a nice fireman carry. Tag to Reks who drops an elbow and keeps on the left arm. Corner whip and a big bodyslam by Reks. Tag to Johnny, who comes in with a slingshot legdrop for two. Curtis catches TJ on a victory roll try, and electric chairs him face first into the ropes and then clothesline him over the top. Double plancha by Reks and Curtis to take out the future Dynasty on the floor. Curtis misses a baseball slide on Wilson, and DH pops up to send him into the barricade. Back in, DH tags in and drops elbows on Fandango. Cover gets two. Knee to the back by DH. He continues to club away on the back, and tags TJ. They keep him in the corner in the turnbuckle. Soccer kick to the back of Curtis for two. TJ stretches Johnny out. 'ASK HIM! GIVE UP!' Nice, TJ! The fans get behind Curtis and elbows and punches free. Sunset flip by Curtis, but DH tags in and boots away to the head. Big belly to belly by DH for two. DH goes for a Boston Crab, but Curtis fights it nicely. DH turns it into a liontamer, and then back into the boston crab. Nice. Curtis crawls to the rope. Smith argues with the ref. Another club to the back, but he can't get a powerbomb. Curtis tries to power him up, and finally fights to get him over into a backdrop, but DH gets a quick tag to Tyson to cut off the hot tag. TJ comes in and gets a nice back elbow. He's just so...fast, but controlled. Cover gets two. Shindrop to the face and a tag to DH. Smith kicks away to the ribs, and gets a backbreaker for two. DH hits the chinlock. The fans get behind Johnny. DH works it a bit, too, so it doesn't get boring. Curtis fights up with elbows, but gets clubbed back down in the back. Vertical suplex attempt is flipped out of, and Curtis gets a spinning heel kick. Hot tag to Reks. Punches! Shoulderblock! Back elbow. Dropkick! Reks takes DH down, and drops the elbow for two. Blind tag by TJ, and he comes in with a Hart Attack for two, as Curtis breaks up the count. TJ dumps Curtis, and another cover gets two. Wilson gets a boot, but eats shoulder on a springboard try. Suplex attempt, but DH runs distraction and gets clotheslined down. Springboard is ducked, and TJ runs right into Curtis who hits a sitout suplex. Reks covers for the pin to retain.

This was good. Josh Matthews calls it a '5-Star Tag Team Matchup', but he's not smart. I did like it though. The Hart Dynasty's offense looked much crisper in this setting, and little Davey Boy fed well for Reks' hot tag. Curtis sold well, and was perfectly fine as the face in peril. It's hard to do formula tag wrestling badly, and this wasn't bad at all. ***.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:46 PM

Formerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond repute

Between EC and the FCW match...I really was in a good mood that day. Holy crap.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:54 PM

january 12th: toshiaki kawada and akira taue vs stan hansen and john nord

Spoiler
Formerly Known (01-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:05 PM

january 13th: shane douglas and ricky steamboat vs the hollywood blondes

Spoiler

and im probably off for a couple days now. so i wanted to get a couple matches ahead.
Formerly Known (01-13-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 10:44 PM

It's amazing how easily a week can be lost just by a couple of different obligations being thrown in the mix. Oh well, it's still January 12, and I'm still on track!

Match of the Day #12
January 12, 1994

From AJPW, available on the Youtube playlist.

- The Holy Demon Army (Toshiaki Kawada and Akira Taue) vs. Stan Hansen and John Nord

Fun fact. I've never seen a good John Nord match. I wonder if this will change it with 3 of the best workers of all time surrounding him. Kawada and Hansen start right off in the video, not used to not getting intros, but...okay.

Kawada goes low immediately, and tries to chop Hansen. Hansen comes back with chops and a club to the back. Stiff chop exchange (that might not be doing this justice) and Hansen gets an overhead elbow. Snapmare and a kick to the back by Hansen. Big slam and here comes Nord. Double shoulderblock by gailjin and a slam by Nord. He drops the elbow and gets the chinlock. Nord is still wearing his Berzerker boots, so somebody must've called him to stop selling cars for this tour. Kawada kicks him in the forehead to break the hold but Nord keeps clubbing. Big boot by Nord. He chokes on the ropes and tags Stan back in. Hansen kicks and clubs away and gets a couple jabs to the face. Hansen drops the elbow on the arm and works the wrist. Kawada gets a reversal with a head scissors, and kicks in the back. And hard kicks in the chest. Weak heel kick hits, and Kawada tags Taue. Taue sticks to the arm, and rams the shoulder into the corner. More arm work in the ropes and he takes him down in the armbreaker. Nord comes in to boot to break. Taue goes back to the armbreaker rather quickly, and they kinda lay around a bit. Taue adds a leg over the forehead, and then switches it to a pinning combo for one. Hansen fights up, but Kawada tags back in. Kawada continues the arm work and kicks the arm. Hansen tries to fight out, but right back to the arm goes Kawada. Kawada drops knees on Hansen's arm. I don't know if Hansen being the big seller was the way to go here, but the HDA are heels, so...

Tag back to Taue and he continues with generic arm work. Taue goes to the bottom rope to get leverage on punches, but Stan headbutts him down. Stan boots and kicks to the face. Another headbutt takes Taue down. Shoulderblock by Hansen, but he hurts his own shoulder and falls to the outside. Kawada goes out and rams him into the ringpost. Taue follows Hansen into the crowd and sends him back into the ringpost, and then back in the ring. More armwork by Taue. I do kinda like Hansen's selling here, but he's just such a badass, it's hard to sell sometimes. It's almost like Brock selling a knee injury in 2014 WWE. Hansen tries to fight out with a palm to the face, but Kawada hangs on. Hansen finally reverses and gets a backdrop. Taue recovers nicely though with kicks from the mat and gets right back to the arm. Hansen fights free with headbutts and a hard punch. Tag to Nord and comes in with clubs and a flying shoulderblock. He sends Taue to the outside, and Hansen holds him for a boot on the floor. Nord bodyslames Taue on the floor, and sends him back in. Cover gets two. Backdrop by Nord for two. Nord chops away on Taue in the corner and clubs him down. Cover gets two. Nord goes to the armbar on Taue and switches it to a camel clutch. Nord breaks and kicks and clubs away, and tags Hansen back in. Double battering ram hits, and Hansen fights for a boston crab, but Taue gets ropes. Another boston crab works. Taue powers out with a pushup, so Hansen just knees him in the back and tags Nord. Nord heads to the second rope and gets an axehandle for two. Boots by Nord. Huss, huss! Nord drops knees and chokes, and Hansen chokes from the outside as well. More kneedrops by Nord, and a cover gets two. More covers for two, and Hansen is back in annoyed. Stiff kicks to the back for two, and he drops an elbow for two. Hansen elbows away in the corner, but misses an avalanche and falls to the outside. Nord comes in, but Taue reverses a backdrop with the ropes. Tag to Kawada. Kicks for Hansen. Kick for Nord. Step up Kick for Hansen, big slam and kneedrop from the second rope, but Nord stops the pin. Hansen goes for the backdrop, but Kawada reverses for two. Toshi runs into a back elbow though, and Nord is tagged in. Big legdrop by Nord. He heads to the second rope, but misses a big splash. Tag to Taue. He kicks low on Nord, dodges a big boot, but Nord catches him in a big slam for two. Hansen disposes of Kawada, and the gaijin hit a double vertical. Nord crawls into a cover for two as Kawada breaks. Backdrop/chokeslam on Nord for two, as Hansen breaks. Hansen and Kawada brawls to the outside, and Taue gets a shitty DDT for two. Chokeslam by Taue for three and the pin.

Well, this wasn't great. Just a night off for the three guys. Nord wasn't embarassing in there, but he clearly didn't have much, at this point. He did fit the style look wise, but not much else. Hansen's selling was good though, whether I would've booked it that way or not, and the HDA got put over clean, I guess. **1/4 for me. Kinda disappointing, when it could've been a huge hossfight.
Hammer (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:39 PM

Match of the Day #13
January 13, 1993

From WCW Clash of the Champions #22. Available on WWE Network.

Unified Tag Team Championship: Ricky Steamboat and Shane Douglas (c) vs. The Hollywood Blondes (Steve Austin and Brian Pillman)

Man, I should've chose Thundercage instead, but I wanted the better match. In theory anyway.

Pillman handles the interview for the Blondes, and we get a quick snipet of Simply Ravishing to promote Slam Jam. Sting comes out for an interview, so I fast forward to the match. Or I slowly fast forward and get an extended promotion for Superbrawl.

Sign in crowd: 'Cactus Jack and Jim Ross are related.' Ooookay, Milwaukee. Douglas is still really smooth on promos. What the hell happened to him in ECW?

No entrances, but we get boxing intros from GMC. Decent heat for the Blondes. Douglas gets not much of a reaction, and Steamboat's is only slightly better. Huh.

30 minute time limit. Here we go. Steamboat and Austin start. Austin immediately knees to the gut and clubs away. He ducks hits head on a whip, and gets rolled up for two. Jackknife cover for two. Crossbody by Steamboat for two, as Pillmnan breaks it up. Douglas takes out Pillman. Steamboat disposes of Austin, and the faces stand strong to start. Back in, Austin goes back to work with a kick to the gut and tags Pillmnan for a chop. He hammers down, and another chop in the corner. Corner whip, but Steamboat leapfrogs and gets a dropkick. Armdrag by Steamboat. Steamboat stays on the arm, and tags Douglas for a axehandle on the arm. Armbar by Douglas, tag to Steamboat, and he does the same. Back to Douglas, same thing. Back to Steaboat, same thing. Douglas in, and Pillman blows out his knee on a leapfrog sequence. Slingshot splash try is caught by Douglas into a powerslam for two. Tag to Austin, and drop toe hold by Douglas takes Steve down. Austin gets a drop toe hold of his own, but Douglas reverses into a hammerlock. Jesse and JR talk about Rush Limbaugh, so...yeah. Hammerlock continues, and Austin fights up and uses the hair to break. Douglas kicks Austin from his back, though, and goes right back to the arm. Tag to Steamboat, who drops a knee on the arm. Hammerlock slam by Steamboat, and we go back to Douglas. Whip attempt, and Douglas dodges Austin strikes and gets a sunset flip for two. Austin quickly reverses into a rollup for two with the tights. Jackknife cover by Douglas for two, and Austin bridges up. Backslide test of strength, but Douglas flips out and gets a springboard backelbow on Austin for two. Pillman breaks up the count. Tag to Steamboat. Double hiptoss. Assisted splash by the faces. Pillman comes in and is slammed on Austin as well. Steamboat goes back to the arm. Austin punches to break and whips Steamboat into a Pillman punch. Back suplex by Austin and a tag to Pillman. He clubs, corner whips and slams Ricky down for two. Cheap shot for Douglas, and throws Dragon over the tp to the floor with no mats. Because Bill Watts. Over the top would've been a DQ. Austin cheapshots Steamboat on the floor with a slam, as well. Hangman on the top by Pillmnan, and he forearms way. Steamboat blocks a punch, but Austin stops a suplex attempt to the floor. Pillman gets a suplex from the apron to the ring for two. More covers for two. Tag to Austin. He clubs away and shoulders in the corner. Punches, and back to Pillman. Steamboat fights back with punches, but Pillman goes to the eyes and hits a chop to knock Steamboat down. He rubs Ricky's face into the mat, but Steamboat fights back with chops. Pillman comes back with chops of his own, but Steamboat gets a sunset flip, as Austin distracts to prevent the pin. Back to Austin. Gutwrench suplex by Austin. Steamboat fights back with punches, and knocks Pillman off the apron into the barricade. Steamboat tries to tag, but Austin gets a nice back suplex for two. Backbreaker submission by Austin. Steamboat uses the ropes to flip off, but Austin clubs to keep control and goes back to the backbreaker. Tag to Pillman, and he springboards, but Steamboat ducks and it's friendly fire. Steamboat gets a double chop from the top to take down the Blondes. Hot tag is stopped with a backdrop attempt, but Steamboat flips out and gets one of his own. Hot tag to Shane. Pillman begs off, but he's on fire with punches. Slams for both. Dropkicks for both! Big clotheslines for both. Belly to belly by Douglas, but AUstin comes off the top with an axehandle and puts Pillman on top for...two. Austin and Steamboat battle on the outside. The referee heads outside to break them up. Rollup by Douglas, but no ref. Austin grabs the belt and wallops Douglas, but the ref rolls back in and sees it for the DQ.

Post match, Pillman DDTs Steamboat. Douglas blades. Pillman comes off the second rope with another belt shot on Douglas. Steamboat covers up Douglas, so Pillman WHIPS him with the title belt. Yeeow. The lowcard babyfaces run in for the save to dispatch the heels.

This was an all action tag match, that's for sure. The structure was more of a Midnights/Rock N Rolls match than anything, and it worked for the most part. Not a ton of heat or selling, but it was just a setup for another match, really, anyway. I liked it, but it kind of falls short of being great. A good sign of things to come, though. ***1/2.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:16 AM

Match of the Day #14
January 14, 1990

From All Japan Pro Wrestling, available on the Youtube playlist.

Jumbo Tsuruta and Tiger Mask II vs. The Revolution of Genichiro Tenryu and Samson Fuyuki

Interesting group of underlings for the Jumbo/Tenryu feud here, so it should be fun. It's weird seeing Jumbo with the big music intro knowing what he'd become shortly later. Misawa still looks weird in Tiger Mask attire to me. Samson's hair is still fantastic. Tenryu gets a good reaction. Misawa and Jumbo get equal pops. Tenryu is in all time heel form here, and would've probably been an internet sensation had this been 10 years later.

Misawa and Fuyuki start. Quick waistlock trade, and Misawa sits out and we reset. Headlock/hammerlock reversal sequence and Fuyuki trips. Reset. Headlock takeover by Fuyuki but Misawa rolls him up for one. Back to the headlock, and Tenryu is in with a chop and a big shoulderblock. STIFF chops by Tenryu. Holy crap. Tag to Fuyuki, and he gets a crossbody from the second rope for two. Headlock, but Misawa sends him off and gets a dropkick. Tag to Jumbo. Big boot for Fuyuki. Big slam by Jumbo, and he goes to the knee with the stepover toehold. Jumbo drops a knee down on the hamstring of Samson. Tag back to Misawa and a kicks the hammy of Samson a couple times. Whip and a jumping clothesline gets one, as Tenryu comes in and unloads on Misawa. Jumbo finally has enough and goes after Tenryu. The faces double team Tenryu for a moment. Back to Tiger/Fuyuki, and Misawa gets a whip, and Fuyuki misses a springboard crossbody. Fuyuki rolls to the outside, and Jumbo calmly walks out and drops his knee on the barricade. KNEEEEEE CRUSHAH!, says the announcer. Fuyuki rolls back in, and Misawa gets a kneebreaker again, and works the ankle. Tag to Jumbo and he kicks away on Samson's leg. Boston crab by Jumbo, and wrenches it up into a Walls of Jericho. Jumbo continues his leg work drops his body on the leg, as Misawa holds. Tag to Misawa and he kicks away on Fuyuki. Enziguri by Fuyuki to give the heels the advantage for a moment. Tag to Tenyru, and he runs into a Misawa dropkick. Baseball slide by Misawa, and he feigns a dive as Tenryu moves. Baseball slide dropkick through the ropes by Misawa. Tenryu pulls himself up, and Jumbo quickly runs in with the same. Fuyuki comes in and goes after Jumbo, but the referees separate them quickly. Suplex from the outside in on Tenryu by Misawa. Misawa kicks, but misses a wheel kick an Tenryu chops. Misawa doesn't budge though, and keeps going with the kicks. Jumping knee hits, but it only really annoys Genichiro and he just grabs the mask and takes Misawa down. Tenryu rips at the mask and pounds away with blows the face. Kick by Tenryu and he sends Misawa to the outside and throws a chair at him. Chairshot to the back by Tenryu. Big chops by Tenryu and he tags Fuyuki. Lariato by Fuyuki for two. Fuyuki still selling the leg here, but he goes back to the mask. Jumping legdrop gets two for Samson. German suplex gets two, as Jumbo saves. Back to Tenryu we go, as the Revolution double teams. Assisted corner clothesline by Fuyuki. More chops by Tenryu and he's just WEARING THE FUCK out of Misawa's chest. Dropkick in the corner. Misawa tries to fight back, but Tenryu clubs away and tags Fuyuki. The fans chant for Misawa, as Fuyuki goes back to the mask. Boot to the face, and back to Tenryu. Big chop knocks Tiger Mask down, and Genichiro boots the face. Backdrop suplex for two. Kick to the chest and a big slam. Tenryu goes up and gets a back elbow from the second rope. Jumbo has had enough and breaks up the pin and pounds away on Tenryu. Irish whip by Tenryu and he lifts Misawa up...and Misawa gets a dropkick, and a tag to Jumbo. Fuyuki meets him with a roundhouse kick, but Tenryu runs into the Jumbo big boot. Whip by Jumbo, but he misses the lariat, and Tenryu grabs his knee on a kitchen sink attempt. Samson comes in and lariats Jumbo down as Tenryu holds. Tenryu kicks to the back, and tags Fuyuki. Lariat by Samson gets two on Jumbo. Fisherman's suplex by Samon gets two. Kick to the face, and Jumbo is sent into the corner. Tenryu is in, and chops away. Jumbo gets annoyed and chops back, so Tenryu switches to forearms. Jumbo is rocked, but comes back with big forearms of his own. Enziguri by Tenryu. Tag back to Fuyuki. Powerbomb attempt, but Jumbo backdrops him out. Tag to Tiger Mask who boots away at the chest and then the face. Backdrop by Misawa and he heads up. Somersault press hits, but Tenryu breaks up the pin. Tag back to Jumbo. Jumbo builds up speed looking for a big lariat, but Tenryu kicks him from the apron. Rollup by Fuyuki gets a long two. Fuyuki gets another clothesline and heads up. Splash from the top by Samson, but it's a two. German suplex try, but Jumbo slips out. He tries a backdrop suplex, but Tenryu comes and slaps the everloving FUCK out of Jumbo and hits an enziguri. Fuyuki heads back up, but Jumbo stops him this time with a knee crusher from the top and gets a half crab on Samson. Back to the half crab. Tenryu comes in, and Tiger Mask runs at him, but gets destroyed with a lariat, and Tenryu...just kinda walks away as Jumbo gets the submission on the half crab.

Tenryu is...not pleased, and leaves Fuyuki with the babyfaces. Jumbo helps Fuyuki up, and raises his hand for the babyface turn. There's trouble in the Revolution, it appears!

Viewing that back to back with the WCW southern tag really made it all the much better. I loved this, from the heeling from Fuyuki and Tenryu, to the non-tiered work from everyone. It's weird how the tier system tags became a thing so quickly after this, but this was a nice switch up from the norm. ***3/4.
Hammer (01-17-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 12:27 PM

Match of the Day #15
January 15, 1989

The 1989 Royal Rumble. From the WWF, available on the WWE Network.

We start with a Dibiase promo, as he seems to have purchased a number from Slick. Gene and Ted have great chemistry there. Brainbusters and Andre interview, Andre says he'll win. Hogan interview he says he'll eliminate Savage, too, and he's the 'real champion', not Savage. Fucking Hogan.

Fink explains the rules, because it's still important at this point. #1 is Ax of Demolition. #2 is Smash of Demolition. The concept is still new, so this is done to set up the 'Every man for himself' thing. They brawl. Neither budge on shoulderblock attempts. Smash punches away, and gets a whip, but runs into a boot. Clothesline by Ax. Ax clubs away. Smash fights back and slams Ax down. Clothesline by Smash, and he grabs axehandles on Ax. Smash goes to the neck vice, and Ax reverse with a rake of the eyes. Ax clubs away, and throws Smash over the top, but not ot he floor. Smash comes back with strikes and puts Ax on the rope and chokes away. The clock runs out and Andre is #3. Demolition stops brawling when they see him, and double clothesline Andre down. They club away on Andre and choke him with the boots. They keep working on Andre, but can't toss him. Andre fights back with knees a chop, but Demolition comes back with clubs. Andre gets the double noggin knocker, and Hennig is #4. Ax holds Andre and Smash pounds away. Andre chops Ax and eliminates Smash, so Eadie and Perfect team up on Andre. They choke away. Ax turns on Perfect and sends him chest first into the turnbuckle. Ax goes back after Andre but Andre chokes. Hennig helps, but gets headbutted down. #5 is Ronnie Garvin. Andre keeps working on Ax, and Garvin comes in to help. Andre gets tied in the ropes and all three try to eliminate Andre. Andre boots everyone back, but he's still tied up. Garvin tries to work on Andre as Ax and Hennig battle. Andre sits on Ax in the corner and Hennig/Garvin try to double team. They take turns trying to toss Andre, but it's futile, so they just pound away. Countdown and Greg Valentine is #6. Hammer comes in and joins in on the Andre beating. Andre fights free and tosses Garvin. Bodyslam by Hennig on Ax, and Valentine/Andre pair off, and Ax/Hennig pair off. Hennig bumps on his face on an Ax clothesline. Ax goes after Andre, but Andre beats him down. Hennig helps but gets sent into the corner. Jake is #7, and he's got an issue with Andre. Andre boots away as Jake rolls in and Andre clubs the hell out of him. He chokes in the ropes, and Valentine tries to hit Andre in the back, but Andre just kinda gives him a look and ignores it. Hennig keeps working on Ax. Andre chokes, and Valentine and Hennig double team axe. Elimination tease from Perfect, but Valentine can't get him out. Countdown again, and it's just standard brawling. Ron Bass is #8, in, I believe, his last match in the company. Andre tosses Jake. Andre goes after Valentine and everyone pairs off. This is...disjointed, and kinda hard to write about. It's just standard stuff going on. Hennig and Bass battle. #9 is Shawn Michaels. Clothesline by Bass on Hennig, and Michaels goes after The Outlaw. Hennig eliminates Ax. Hennig tosses Shawn, but Michaels skins the cat back in and gets a clothesline with the 360 sell from Hennig. Shawn dropkicks Hennig over the top, but Hennig holds on. Andre chokes Ron Bass as everyone rests for a second. Valentine and Hennig take shots at Shawn. #10 is Butch of the Bushwackers,and Jake follows him back out and throws the snake in the ring and Andre eliminates himself and runs away. Ring Reset: Michaels, Valentine, Hennig, Butch & Bass.

Standard elimination attempts and brawling as the fans cheer Jake as he leaves. Hennig and Michaels have the most interesting sequence going on, but they don't bother sustaining it for any period of time. Michaels does a double noggin knocker on Perfect and Bass. Future New York Jet Henry Anderson is #11 to big heat. Perfect and Honky battle. Michaels and Valentine Battle, and as soon as I type it, they just switch off. Michaels and Hennig colide in the center. Hammer and Honky try to eliminate Michaels, but can't. Butch and Bass battle in the other corner. Hennig tries to eliminate Honky, but he holds on. #12 is Chico Santana (Arriba McIntyre's brother). Santana goes after Hennig and tries to dump him. Backdrop and a clothesline by Santana on Hennig. Bass hits him in the back of the head with a dropkick, though. Butch tries to dump Honky, but he holds on. Big backdrop by Bass on Shawn. Valentine and Santana pair off. Double suplex on Shawn by Hennig and Bass. Monsoon is getting quite bored between entrances here. Bad News Brown is #13. He just joins in on the brawling sequences, and Santana elimninates Honky. Shawn and Butch work on Bad News. Valentine and Bass choke Tito. Butch bumps nicely on a Hennig clothesline. Huh. Shawn double strikes Bad News and Outlaw from the top. #14 is Marty Jannetty. Bass meets him coming in, though. Bass pounds away, but Shawn stumbles over to help his partner. Double elbow by the Rockers. Double dropkick and Bass is gone. And we go back to the standard brawling. Flying forearm by Chico on Valentine, but he can't slam Valentine out. #15 is the WWF Champion Randy Savage, and he's got a thing with Bad News, so he goes right after him. Savage is all fired up, per usual. Valentine cuts him off with chops. And they pair back off with nothing happening. Axehandle from the top by Savage on Bad News. Bad News misses a shoulder in the corner on Savage. Arn Anderson is #16, as Savage gets rid of Valentine. Ring reset: Hennig, Santana, Jannetty, Butch, Michaels, Anderson, Savage & Bad News.

Shawn slips out of an Arn slam attempt and hits a superkick. Arn and Savage double team and eliminate Michaels. They pair off and brawl. Savage and Bad News keep battling now, finally figuring out the format of this thing. Arn heads up to the top and gets crotched by Marty. Tully Blanchard is #17, though. Hennig teases elimination again. They pair off and punch away some more. There's some really good workers in there for this era, too. Arn hits his tremendous spinebuster on Marty and the Brainbusters toss Marty after a nice tease. Hulk Hogan is #18. Hennig is gone. The announcers mention that Hogan saved Savage, but it wasn't on screen. Tito...gets tossed off screen. Bad News gets Hulk on the top, and Savage goes after Butch instead of helping his buddy. Bushwacker Luke is #19. Butch gets tossed after a pretty good run. Hogan sloppily pressslams Tully on the top rope. Bad News keeps pounding away on Savage. The fans chant for Hulk. Big boot for Arn. Koko is #20. Dropkicks for Luke and Arn by Koko. Arn heads up, but Hogan slams him off. Luke pounds away on Hogan, in one of the weirdest visuals there is. Koko helps, but Hogan hates those kind of people and tosses Koko. Hogan dumps Luke. Both Brainbusters team up on Hulk. Warlord is #21. Hogan dumps both Brainbusters. Warlord steps in and Hogan clothesline him out. Hogan dumps Bad News and Savage to clear the ring, and Savage is piiiiiiiissed. Elizabeth runs out and separates the Mega Powers. Monsoon is pro Hogan, and Jesse is pro Savage... The Mega Powers shake hands and hug it out, but the seeds are planted.

Big Boss Man is #22, and it's one on one with the big feud. Savage and Elizbeth leave, and it's Boss Man vs. Hogan. Boss Man immediately goes to the eyes, but Hogan comes back with punches and a clothesline. He pounds away on Bossman and slams him down. Boss Man reverses a whip though and gets a huge avalanche and a piledriver on Hulk. Monsoon: "The Hulkster's been out there for a half hour!" Or 8 minutes or so, two of them were spent doing an angle...Boss Man slams Hogan, and he spits on him. Big splash misses, but Akeem is #23. Hogan pounds away in the corner. The announcers speculate that this was the Dibiase trade, but...two tag teams did already enter back to back, so...Hogan rams the towers together and slams Akeem down. Bossman goes to the eyes, and they double team Hogan. Bossman tries to slam Hogan out, but Hogan slips out and comes back with a noggin knocker and a suplex. Double avalanche by the towers and they throw Hulk out. Hogan is a whiny bitch, though, and pulls Bossman to the outside and beats on him. Akeem goes under the ropes to help his partner as Brutus Beefcake is #24. He goes after Bossman and saves Hogan from Akkeem. The Towers go back in and double team Beefcake, but Hogan pulls down the ropes from the outside and eliminates Bossman. Fuck off Hogan, you whiny little bitch. So we're down to Akeem and Beefcake in the ring. *sigh* Hogan and Bossman brawl to the back. Jesse calls out Hogan for being a bitch. We go back to the ring and AKeem beats on Beefcake. The Red Rooster is #25 and he helps Beefcake, but Akeem just slams him down. Beefcake gets an axehandle from the second rope to stun Akeem, but the faces can't eliminate him. They take turns hitting shoulderblocks on Akeem, but can't dump him, as he goes to the eyes. High knee by Beefcake knocks Akeem into the ropes. They can't dump Akeem, though. The Barbarian is #26, and he feigns helping the faces, and knocks them down, and goes after Akeem himself. They pair off and brawl. Rooster gets the corner punches on Akeem, but Akeem just punches him down. BIIIIG Splash on Rooster by Akeem. #27 is Big John Studd making his big return. Rooster bites Akeem. Studd throws Taylor away and goes after Akeem himself. The big men battle in the corner. Barbarian destoys Rooster, but can't dump him. Studd clearly doesn't want to work with anyone but Akeem here. Brutus chokes the Barbarian on the ropes. #28 is Hercules, the third Mega Power. That lasted a long time! Herc helps Beefcake with the Barbarian. Rooster tries to help Studd, but gets thrown away again. They pair off. Beefcake gets the corner punches on Barbarian. Herc goes after Studd, so Studd just stiffs him away. Barbarian is crotches. #29 is Rick Martel, getting ready for his heel turn. Martel dropkicks Rooster. Standard battle royal stuff now. Herc misses an elbow on Barbarian. Studd says he's going to throw Akeem out, but gets kicked in the gut. #30 is The Million Dollar Man. Ted goes after his slave Hercules. Virgil stays at ringiside. Taylor hits a flying forearm on Dibiase. Dibiase whips Rooster into the corner and he flips himself out of the ring. Herc clotheslines Dibiase multiple times and punches him in the corner. Beefcake helps Teddy. Studd works on the Barbarian, as he's finally not working on Akeem for once. Bearhug by Herc on Beefcake, but Beefcake gets out and gets the sleeper. Dibiase comes up from behind and eliminates them both. Flying shoulderblock by the Barbarian on Martel. Running powerslam by Barbarian on Martel, and he heads up. Diving headbutt hits Martel. Barbarian charges, but misses Martel and gets dropkicked out by Martel.

Final Four: Ted Dibiase, Rick Martel, Big John Studd & Akeem

So really, in theory, anyone but Martel can win this. Martel beats up Teddy, but Studd switches his focus. Akeem goes after Martel, but misses an avalanche. Big dropkick by Ricky staggers Akeem, but Akeem catches a crossbody to dump Martel. The heels team up on Studd. Axehandle by Dibiase, who no sells. Akeem shoulderblocks away on Studd as Dibiase directs traffic. Avalanche by Akeem. Another try, but Dibiase gets pulled in the line of fire. Studd dumps Akeem. Dibiase offers Studd some money, but Studd says no. Dibiase goes to the eyes, and heads up, but Studd grabs him by the throat and slams him into the corner. Kick is blocked by Studd and he clubs Teddy. Bodyslam by Studd. Butterfly suplex by Studd. Nice. Gutwrench suplex by Studd. Big clothesline with a Dibiase oversell. Studd dumps Ted to win. Virgil comes in from behind and he gets beat down and tossed as well.

Well, it took them a few to get going, I guess. They really didn't have any idea how to book these things until 1992, and then we really didn't get another good Rumble until '97 after that, so...this is a fun curiousity, but nothing else. It does plant the seeds for the Mega Powers angle, though, so it's pretty important for that, at least. Dibiase winning would've been better in hindsight, but there was no way of knowing that Studd's push would end so abruptly.

I did want to include a Rumble that hadn't been watched a hundred times, but man, it just makes me want to watch 1992 as a bonus, too. We'll see how time is, though.

Oh yeah, Royal Rumble 1989 Stats

Past/Present/Future Title Listing:
WWE Champion (4): Andre, Michaels, Savage, Hogan
IC Champion (7): Perfect, Valentine, Michaels, Honky, Santana, Marty, Savage,
Tag Champion (13): Ax, Smash, Valentine, Michaels, Santana, Marty, Arn, Tully, Hogan, Boss Man, Studd, Martel, Dibiase
No WWE Titles (13): Garvin (NWA Champ), Jake (HOF), Bass, Butch (HOF), Bad News, Luke (HOF), Koko (HOF), Warlord, Akeem (WCW US), Beefcake, Taylor, Barbarian, Hercules.

We'll just do WWE champions from this era, because the NWA lineage is a little messed up with all the territories. Kinda a lower list than we'd get from the coming eras. Maybe that's another project I'll delve into in the coming weeks if my work schedule clears up.

Last edited by Formerly Known; 01-15-2019 at 12:44 PM.