GM League  

Go Back   GM League > Forums > GM League: 2018

Old 05-08-2018, 11:10 PM
2017 schisno GM of the Year

Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,094 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 66 Times in 64 Posts
Brown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant future
Default The Slow Review of 2017 & 2016 GML Teams

Yes, I will take some time and slowly go over teams from the past two years of the GML, or as I like to call it the Brown period...

First we'll take a look at the 2017 GML GM of the Year's team:

Bdogtitan11's 2017 Tennessee Titans

Alright, so I was going to do what I usually do -- spend a ton of time putting together depth charts, making selling points position-by-position, etc. -- but I figured I’ll let this team speak for itself. This is my 5th year doing the GML and it was by far the most fun I’ve had getting to interact with you and making friends (a legit text with some of you daily...what a dork).

This is also the team I’m the most proud of. I’ve had different challenges before (a complete teardown with the Jags, taking a playoff team like the Packers and making them a SB-caliber team), but this was the most fun. The Titans had a ton of flexibility based on the makeup of the team. The goal upon taking over the team was to upgrade the offensive weapons and to completely revamp the porous second level of the defense. With a Base 4-3 Over Defense founded on malleabile weapons and a spread-based passing attack (we won’t completely abandon power-run philosophies) built around an imposing offensive line, we feel like this is one of the most complete teams in the league and is capable of contending for a Super Bowl for years to come.

As you’ll see below, we did not sacrifice our long-term prospects to become an instant contender, nor did we sacrifice the chance to win now to build for the future. This is a team filled with physical, alpha dogs that blend skill with tenacity. It’s sexy as fuck.

I’d like to be considered for GM of the Year. Some don’t do this to win awards. I do, because I’m insecure and need positive reinforcement. Objectively, I think this is the most complete team around. Subjectively, vote for me or you’re fucking racist.

This team is….The Tits.

Before
Players with ‘16 PFF grades of 80+: 10
Players with Pro Bowl/All Pro appearances: 6
Players 25 or younger: 29
Starters 25 or younger: 7
Draft picks: 8

After
Players with ‘16 PFF grades of 80+: 17
Players with Pro Bowl/All Pro appearances: 11
Players 25 or younger: 30
Starters 25 or younger: 9 (not including rookies)
Draft picks: 11

Titans' Roster

Quarterback

1. Marcus Mariota
2017 Stats - 15 GS, 62% Pass Completion, 3232 Passing Yards, 13 Pass TDs, 15 INTs, 312 Rush Yards, 5 Rush TDs

2. Brian Hoyer
2017 Stats - 11 Games, 6 GS, 58% Pass Completion, 1245 Passing Yards, 4 Pass TDs, 4 INTs, -3 Rush Yards, 0 Rush TDs

Running back

1. Derrick Henry

2017 Stats - 16 Games, 2 GS, 744 Rush Yards, 5 Rush TDs, 136 Receiving Yards, 1 Receiving TD

2. Bilal Powell
2017 Stats - 15 Games, 10 GS, 772 Rush Yards, 5 Rush TDs, 170 Receiving Yards

3. RB DeAngelo Williams
N/A

Fullback

1. FB Dan Vitale

15 Games, 6 GS, 19 Receiving yards

Wide receiver

1. Dez Bryant

2017 Stats - 16 GS, 838 Receiving Yards, 6 TDs

2. Brandon Marshall

2017 States - 5 GS, 154 Receiving Yards

3. Malachi Dupre
N/A

Slot WR

1. Cole Beasley

2017 Stats - 15 Games, 4 GS, 314 Receiving Yards, 4 Receiving TDs

2. Cooper Kupp
2017 Stats - 15 Games, 6 GS, 869 Receiving Yards, 6 Receiving TDs

3. Shelton Gibson
2017 Stats - 5 Games, 11 Receiving Yards

Tight end

1. Delanie Walker

2. Jake Butt

3. Darren Fells

Offensive line

LT Taylor Lewan

LG Quinton Spain

C Ben Jones

RG Josh Kline

RT Jack Conklin

Reserves

C Gino Gradkowski

G Dakota Dozier

OT Roderick Johnson

OL Sean Harlow

Defensive end/EDGE

LE
1. Chandler Jones

2. Kevin Dodd

3. Hunter Dimick

RE
1. Brian Orakpo

2. TJ Watt

3. Ejaun Price

Defensive tackle

NT
1. Eddie Goldman

2. Deon Simon

3. Woodrow Hamilton

DT
1. Jurrell Casey

2. Austin Johnson

Linebacker

Mike
1. CJ Mosley

2. Blair Brown

Will
1. Deone Bucannon

2. Blair Brown

3. Paul Magliore

Sam

TJ Watt

2. Kori Toomer

Defensive back

LCB
1. Josh Norman

2. Ahkello Witherspoon

3. Jeremy Cutrer

RCB
1. Tavon Young

2. EJ Gaines

Rover S
1. Kam Chancellor

2. Budda Baker

Strong Safety
1. Tony Jefferson:

2. Rafael Bush

3. Terrence Brooks

Special teams

K Ryan Succop

LS Rick Lovato

P Bradley Pinnion

Total Salary: $167,065,297.00
Estimated Dead Space: $13,524,636.00

Last edited by Brown GM; 05-09-2018 at 01:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brown GM For This Useful Post:
bdogtitan11 (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 12:20 AM

Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,835 Posts
Groans: 46
Groaned at 72 Times in 70 Posts
Hammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond repute

i put the chances of you getting through every team at approximately zero.
bdogtitan11 (05-09-2018), jalexjsmithj (05-09-2018), Patrick Mahomes is God (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 12:52 AM

Brown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant futureBrown GM has a brilliant future

Clearly when I can't even save my reviews properly and have to restart them it's going to slow going.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:05 AM

Groans: 47
Groaned at 36 Times in 32 Posts
bdogtitan11 is a splendid one to beholdbdogtitan11 is a splendid one to beholdbdogtitan11 is a splendid one to beholdbdogtitan11 is a splendid one to beholdbdogtitan11 is a splendid one to beholdbdogtitan11 is a splendid one to beholdbdogtitan11 is a splendid one to behold

A couple thoughts:

The Good
--The defense. This was the strength of the team when we assembled it and that held true a year later. Linebackers had a down year vs. expectations, but the complete package from front to back was damn good.

--The draft. Those first four picks in the second round (Baker, Watt, Witherspoon, Kupp) were awesome. Sets a really good foundation to build around moving forward.

--Going with Derrick Henry. We committed to him as our feature back. Real life Titans were slow to do so. Dummies. We liked the combo of Henry and Powell at the time and it was a nice tandem in hindsight.

The Bad
--The wide receivers were not as good as advertised. Dez Bryant was fine, but not worth the collateral (a mid 1st) we gave up for him, not the money (as demonstrated by how real life cowboys handled him this postseason). Getting Kupp was big, he proved to be a really nice WR as a rookie. Still, not a great group, probably average.

--Speaking of WRs...I had an offer to get William Jackson AND a 4th for Brandon Marshall. I wanted to pull the trigger, Ashy and Dirk did not. Fuck.

--Depth. I compromised depth to get some star power and big contracts. It's a strategy that works for voting in this league, but as you can see in hindsight, it causes some issues when injuries arise.

The Ugly
--Injuries. A few experienced heavy hitters were lost for significant time. Some I was able to withstand (Kam Chancellor, Tavon Young), some I was not (Bmarsh).

Overall, I think this was still a good job, but some gambles for vets did not pay off. Fortunately, going with youth in general and having an awesome first half of the draft lends itself to flexibility moving forward.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdogtitan11 View Post
A couple thoughts:

The Good
--The defense. This was the strength of the team when we assembled it and that held true a year later. Linebackers had a down year vs. expectations, but the complete package from front to back was damn good.

--The draft. Those first four picks in the second round (Baker, Watt, Witherspoon, Kupp) were awesome. Sets a really good foundation to build around moving forward.

--Going with Derrick Henry. We committed to him as our feature back. Real life Titans were slow to do so. Dummies. We liked the combo of Henry and Powell at the time and it was a nice tandem in hindsight.

The Bad
--The wide receivers were not as good as advertised. Dez Bryant was fine, but not worth the collateral (a mid 1st) we gave up for him, not the money (as demonstrated by how real life cowboys handled him this postseason). Getting Kupp was big, he proved to be a really nice WR as a rookie. Still, not a great group, probably average.

--Speaking of WRs...I had an offer to get William Jackson AND a 4th for Brandon Marshall. I wanted to pull the trigger, Ashy and Dirk did not. Fuck.

--Depth. I compromised depth to get some star power and big contracts. It's a strategy that works for voting in this league, but as you can see in hindsight, it causes some issues when injuries arise.

The Ugly
--Injuries. A few experienced heavy hitters were lost for significant time. Some I was able to withstand (Kam Chancellor, Tavon Young), some I was not (Bmarsh).

Overall, I think this was still a good job, but some gambles for vets did not pay off. Fortunately, going with youth in general and having an awesome first half of the draft lends itself to flexibility moving forward.
I'd agree with this assessment.

Offensively it was a team that was actually better set for up the "exotic smash mouth" offense versus a pass heavy scheme that Josh McDaniels would want to bring in.

Mariota is a much better version of the quarterback McDaniels drafted in Denver (Tebow), and it was a good thought process in surrounding him with known talent but it was with a pair of WRs that were coming off down years. Dez hadn't had a 1,000 yard season in two years, nor did he play in all 16 games. Brandon Marshall was one year removed, and also missed some time.

If it played out the way it did with injuries, I'd imagine this Titans team doesn't get the WC spot, if they ran into too many shoot outs.

I believe the defense is strong enough to keep games manageable, but the offense would hold this team back. There isn't really that third down back and Jake Butt didn't play and you need a second receiving TE.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:55 AM

bdogtitan11 is a splendid one to beholdbdogtitan11 is a splendid one to beholdbdogtitan11 is a splendid one to beholdbdogtitan11 is a splendid one to beholdbdogtitan11 is a splendid one to beholdbdogtitan11 is a splendid one to beholdbdogtitan11 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown GM View Post
I'd agree with this assessment.

Offensively it was a team that was actually better set for up the "exotic smash mouth" offense versus a pass heavy scheme that Josh McDaniels would want to bring in.

Mariota is a much better version of the quarterback McDaniels drafted in Denver (Tebow), and it was a good thought process in surrounding him with known talent but it was with a pair of WRs that were coming off down years. Dez hadn't had a 1,000 yard season in two years, nor did he play in all 16 games. Brandon Marshall was one year removed, and also missed some time.

If it played out the way it did with injuries, I'd imagine this Titans team doesn't get the WC spot, if they ran into too many shoot outs.

I believe the defense is strong enough to keep games manageable, but the offense would hold this team back. There isn't really that third down back and Jake Butt didn't play and you need a second receiving TE.

Josh McDaniels will run the offense I fucking tell him to run. But yeah, the gambles at WR didn't pay off and limited what I could do on O.

But I do think this roster is still better than the IRL Titans, by far. Even with injuries. So I disagree with assessment that this team wouldn't have made the playoffs, because the IRL Titans did. If the argument is that the offense is worse...Dez Bryant was still more productive than Rishard Matthews and Cooper Kupp was just as productive as Big Dick Decker and Corey Davis combined. Delanie Walker is still there. Plus Cole Beasley in the slot. It's a better group of skill players than what the Titans fielded last year, IMO. And that would, in theory, boost, Mariota's production. Plus a more complete defense....It's a playoff team. Not a true contender like we thought going into the season, but a playoff team.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:38 PM

Groans: 4
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
jalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of lightjalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of lightjalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of lightjalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of lightjalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of lightjalexjsmithj is a glorious beacon of light

My thoughts:

You aren't giving yourself enough credit highlighting your biggest win. Chandler Jones had 17 sacks and was criminally under discussed this year, that's huge. Your run defense also looks pretty stellar since Eddie Goldman is low key really good, and CJ Mosley is one of the most underappreciated players in the country. The front 7 is fierce and the strength on the edge probably covers up your biggest weakness on the roster, which is what you want from high impact positions.

I think the bad is pretty different from the Tits IRL on the offensive side. I just see an offense with no one taking the top off the defense. Although I guess it's kind of the offense to stretch wide instead of thin, I just think you will get really squashed, even Kupp only worked through the lens of Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods being explosive. Just subbing out Marsh for someone really mediocre like Ted Ginn would of gone a long way. The safety situation I think is the worst thing that happened to the roster, even with Budda Baker doing really well in the second half of the year, Kam and Tony each went wrong in a pretty big way and neither (read: Tony) was really equipped to be playing as much coverage as you were going to ask of them.

I think this Titans team would of been in the playoffs due to the defense, even if it was only for a road game. Truth is, Mariota let you down more than any actual addition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalexjsmithj For This Useful Post:
bdogtitan11 (05-09-2018), IBleedBlackNGold (05-12-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 12:44 PM
2016 GML Dynasty Champ, 2018 GML Survivor Champ

Groans: 21
Groaned at 15 Times in 13 Posts
indecisivepizza is a splendid one to beholdindecisivepizza is a splendid one to beholdindecisivepizza is a splendid one to beholdindecisivepizza is a splendid one to beholdindecisivepizza is a splendid one to beholdindecisivepizza is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalexjsmithj View Post
My thoughts:

You aren't giving yourself enough credit highlighting your biggest win. Chandler Jones had 17 sacks and was criminally under discussed this year, that's huge. Your run defense also looks pretty stellar since Eddie Goldman is low key really good, and CJ Mosley is one of the most underappreciated players in the country. The front 7 is fierce and the strength on the edge probably covers up your biggest weakness on the roster, which is what you want from high impact positions.

I think the bad is pretty different from the Tits IRL on the offensive side. I just see an offense with no one taking the top off the defense. Although I guess it's kind of the offense to stretch wide instead of thin, I just think you will get really squashed, even Kupp only worked through the lens of Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods being explosive. Just subbing out Marsh for someone really mediocre like Ted Ginn would of gone a long way. The safety situation I think is the worst thing that happened to the roster, even with Budda Baker doing really well in the second half of the year, Kam and Tony each went wrong in a pretty big way and neither (read: Tony) was really equipped to be playing as much coverage as you were going to ask of them.

I think this Titans team would of been in the playoffs due to the defense, even if it was only for a road game. Truth is, Mariota let you down more than any actual addition.
He gave up byard for Goldman. Goldman is solid but Id take Byard everyday. Especially given the injuries to that group.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdogtitan11 View Post
Josh McDaniels will run the offense I fucking tell him to run. But yeah, the gambles at WR didn't pay off and limited what I could do on O.

But I do think this roster is still better than the IRL Titans, by far. Even with injuries. So I disagree with assessment that this team wouldn't have made the playoffs, because the IRL Titans did. If the argument is that the offense is worse...Dez Bryant was still more productive than Rishard Matthews and Cooper Kupp was just as productive as Big Dick Decker and Corey Davis combined. Delanie Walker is still there. Plus Cole Beasley in the slot. It's a better group of skill players than what the Titans fielded last year, IMO. And that would, in theory, boost, Mariota's production. Plus a more complete defense....It's a playoff team. Not a true contender like we thought going into the season, but a playoff team.
I do have you beating PSG's Jags and Prettyflacco's Scott Tolzien led Colts, but Fred had some firepower in Houston and he gets the division crown with a full season of Jimmy G.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalexjsmithj View Post
My thoughts:

Agreed. I felt stuck with Mariota, so the plan was to build around his strengths. We wanted to keep the OL intact and create a power-run attack (accomplished...similar to what you did with Dallas this year) to enhance play-action for MM. Getting him possession WRs was the goal, and I think we did that, although having a burner would've helped in hindsight.

And thanks, I felt good about the defense at the time and feel even better in hindsight. The corners (Norman/Young/Gaines/Witherspoon) were loaded. The pass-rush was great. And the run D would've been above average. Back end of defense was deep enough to easily replace a Pro Bowler in Kam. This was probably a one and done playoff team, agree with you there. D would be the strength moving forward and would have to reconsider what to do with the offense if I took over that same roster this year. Good news is there would be a lot of contracts coming off the books (Bryant, Marshall, Chancellor iirc) to try and fix some of the shortcomings.