GM League  

Go Back   GM League > Forums > Football

Football NFL, NCAA, CFL, AFL, UFL, USFL, and even Fantasy Football, Pickem, Survivour, & Suicide games

Old 02-09-2018, 01:50 AM

Groans: 3
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Prettyflacco is a glorious beacon of lightPrettyflacco is a glorious beacon of lightPrettyflacco is a glorious beacon of lightPrettyflacco is a glorious beacon of lightPrettyflacco is a glorious beacon of lightPrettyflacco is a glorious beacon of light

More likely than not he's a good qb, but 9ers boxed themselves in. Better to save yr draft capital to go for a stud QB under rookie contract/cheap team control. Now they're paying max price. It's clear only two types of teams win SB: those with cheap/rookie QBs (flacco,foles/Russ) or HoF QBs (all the rest). You just can't squeeze enough juice out of the remaining cap space. QB salaries are too flat at the top.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:03 AM

Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
IBleedBlackNGold is a jewel in the roughIBleedBlackNGold is a jewel in the roughIBleedBlackNGold is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettyflacco View Post
More likely than not he's a good qb, but 9ers boxed themselves in. Better to save yr draft capital to go for a stud QB under rookie contract/cheap team control. Now they're paying max price. It's clear only two types of teams win SB: those with cheap/rookie QBs (flacco,foles/Russ) or HoF QBs (all the rest). You just can't squeeze enough juice out of the remaining cap space. QB salaries are too flat at the top.
Really good points. Ben probably falls under the HoF category but he was on his cheap rookie contract during his first SB win and had just signed an extension earlier that offseason when winning his 2nd. JG might up end a HoF QB though, there is a lot of reported tension between Kraft and Belichick over Belichick apparently being more or less forced to trade him
The Following User Says Thank You to IBleedBlackNGold For This Useful Post:
Prettyflacco (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:18 PM

Prettyflacco is a glorious beacon of lightPrettyflacco is a glorious beacon of lightPrettyflacco is a glorious beacon of lightPrettyflacco is a glorious beacon of lightPrettyflacco is a glorious beacon of lightPrettyflacco is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting that Ben could be a case for both categories. I do think sample size is an issue for 9ers though. My worry is that there will be ways for defenses to challenge him that expose weaknesses we haven't seen yet. I agree he's looked great in a way that seems durable but after an offseason of DCs studying him things could look different next year
Old 02-09-2018, 06:56 PM
Jills GM

Groans: 24
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
PSG is a jewel in the roughPSG is a jewel in the roughPSG is a jewel in the roughPSG is a jewel in the rough

Just my opinion, but not anywhere near a big enough sample size to justify that contract.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:00 PM

Groans: 4
Groaned at 7 Times in 7 Posts
IBleedBlackNGold is a jewel in the roughIBleedBlackNGold is a jewel in the roughIBleedBlackNGold is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Interesting that Ben could be a case for both categories. I do think sample size is an issue for 9ers though. My worry is that there will be ways for defenses to challenge him that expose weaknesses we haven't seen yet. I agree he's looked great in a way that seems durable but after an offseason of DCs studying him things could look different next year
Really good points again. It's true DCs did not have enough time to figure out how to stop him in just 5 starts this season. All you can do is make decisions based on the available information. After investing an early 2nd in him, the 9ers only options were to give him this deal or franchise tag him, and then if you are the 9ers you risk him likely getting upset with his situation which has ripple effects and possible long-term consequences. It's not an easy choice one way or the other
Old 02-09-2018, 07:01 PM

Groans: 41
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
NFLRA is a name known to allNFLRA is a name known to allNFLRA is a name known to allNFLRA is a name known to allNFLRA is a name known to allNFLRA is a name known to all

Quote:
They have so much cap room, they really didn't box themselves in. They front loaded the contract, so they can really let him go after year three. If they took a QB with their first round pick, they'd be stuck with that QB, and trying to groom him for 4 years...and might end up in a blake bortles situation.

I do agree they paid too much. If they were going to give him that money they should have made it a 6 year contract. But I think he is their QB for at least the next 3 years - and will be decent enough and thats what they cost.
2015 Denver Broncos
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NFLRA For This Useful Post:
dgfred (02-09-2018), NYGAllDay521 (02-11-2018), Prettyflacco (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLRA View Post
They have so much cap room, they really didn't box themselves in. They front loaded the contract, so they can really let him go after year three. If they took a QB with their first round pick, they'd be stuck with that QB, and trying to groom him for 4 years...and might end up in a blake bortles situation.

I do agree they paid too much. If they were going to give him that money they should have made it a 6 year contract. But I think he is their QB for at least the next 3 years - and will be decent enough and thats what they cost.
Good points--i guess 9ers are in a weird place where they're in danger of not spending to CBA cap floor so they're padding it at the most valuable position. Reminds me a bit of the discussion with Juszczyk where they clearly overpaid but got a decent player, just trying to hit the cap floor

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk