GM League  

Go Back   GM League > Forums > General Discussion Lounge

General Discussion Lounge A place to discuss things you come across on the web and for whatever thoughts come up

Old 12-21-2016, 06:01 PM
2017 schisno GM of the Year

Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,085 Posts
Groans: 3
Groaned at 66 Times in 64 Posts
Brown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud of
Default % of Americans living at home at 75 Year High

http://www.wsj.com/articles/percenta...igh-1482316203

Quote:
Almost 40% of young Americans were living with their parents, siblings or other relatives in 2015, the largest percentage since 1940, according to an analysis of census data by real estate tracker Trulia.

Despite a rebounding economy and recent job growth, the share of those between the ages of 18 and 34 doubling up with parents or other family members has been rising since 2005. Back then, before the start of the last recession, roughly one out of three were living with family.
Mach will attest to this, it is very hard to leave home. Hopefully Trump can make America great again and easy to afford a home.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:18 PM
'13 Mock Draft Winner, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17 Pick Em Winner & the Straw that Stirs the Drink

Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,472 Posts
Groans: 93
Groaned at 94 Times in 92 Posts
Mach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond repute

move out to my own place in the Bay Area or save 50,000 a year. Yeah, tough choice.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:43 PM

Brown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud ofBrown GM has much to be proud of

Your generation is so soft and can't do anything for themselves.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/03/12/savin...etirement.html

Quote:
Minnium recently told one client that he would have to trim his travel budget in retirement if he continued to allow his two employed adult children to live in his home rent-free. She suggested he charge his kids rent and use that money to fund his vacations in retirement. "He couldn't get home fast enough to inform the kids that they would have to start chipping in," she said.

Rent-free living isn't the only kind of financial support that can sap retirement savings, of course. "Spending on kids is a huge black hole, and it undermines the financial stability of most families today," said Laura Scharr-Bykowsky, a certified financial planner at Ascend Financial Planning in Columbia, South Carolina.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:18 PM
'13 Mock Draft Winner, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17 Pick Em Winner & the Straw that Stirs the Drink

Thanked 2,147 Times in 1,472 Posts
Groans: 93
Groaned at 94 Times in 92 Posts
Mach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond reputeMach has a reputation beyond repute

I pay rent to live at home. It's still cheaper than moving out to pay $2,000/mo for a studio.

Plus, the rent I pay goes straight to the mortgage - which the house goes to me when my Dad dies, so I'm essentially buying a house. So by the time I'm 50 I'll probably have a house and enough money to retire.

Long term thinking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mach For This Useful Post:
dgfred (12-22-2016)
Old 12-22-2016, 11:00 AM

Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
dgfred has a spectacular aura aboutdgfred has a spectacular aura about

I wish my daughter would have stayed with us after college. Would have saved us/her/US lots of money. Instead she moved 13 hours away driving. Cry-face.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:08 AM

You had to pay her tuition and residence didn't you? :cry:
Old 12-22-2016, 12:14 PM

Yep. Then new apt in Fla, newer car, and move there. Still helping with rent and finances.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:37 PM

I'm hoping it's not an apt in Miami or somewhere with crazy rent.

It's nice to have support as a student that's for sure. Though I've seen those who've burned through all of their loans within a semester, cause you know...free money.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:07 PM

Apt near Sarasota. High rent but in safe, secure area which was most important for me... and her cat can stay which was most important to her.

She did great in school... it is just her job isn't quite what she was working toward and it will take some time to get there. Forensics is her study area but she is working with juvenile probation at the moment.