GM League  

Go Back   GM League > Forums > Other Sports

Other Sports All the other stuff not covered. Also includes Fantasy Baseball & Fantasy Hockey

Old Yesterday, 01:27 AM

Thanked 2,360 Times in 1,838 Posts
Groans: 46
Groaned at 72 Times in 70 Posts
Hammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond repute

normal ibushi. the one this morning against goto was really his first never match, but hes been moving towards more of a heavyweight type offense lately anyway, his g1 climax final match vs tana in particular. he essentially threw in a couple more headbutts and did a couple less flips, but he did all his usual kicks and knees and what not. im assuming they only put them both in the never division as an excuse to put ibushi vs ospreay together at wk, while also keeping them promoted from the jr division.

omega/tana screams to me that if omega re-signs, theyll put him over so they can say he beat all the top guys in njpw. and if he doesnt... then tana can be the champ for a bit til they figure out where/when they wanna get to jay white, i guess.

also when i made that post, i hadnt watched the post match win speech of sanada/evil... which the young bucks interrupted. so theyll be thrown into that heavyweight tag title match.
Formerly Known (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:29 AM
2016 & 2017 Mach Draft Contest Winner

Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,153 Posts
Groans: 178
Groaned at 126 Times in 121 Posts
Formerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
extreme rules 2010

i tend to like these secondary cards better, because i likely have never seen any of these. wrestlemania, rumble... summerslam to a degree... ive probably watched at some point.
Agreed. There's a hidden classic here. I've seen almost all of the Manias, and all of the Rumbles, but these middling shows that weren't worth buying on PPV, definitely are nice to watch on the Network.

Quote:
kicking off with sheamus/hhh. wow. is this the first time hhh kicked off a card (in a match, not a 20 minute speech), since he became a main eventer?
I know he had the show right after Cena hurt himself, and HHH and Orton opened and closed the show, but nothing else comes to mind.

Quote:
striker repeating along with miz was actually quite great.
Striker was actually quite fun as the heel announcer this entire show. As someone who tends to side with heels, because WWE sucks at booking babyfaces, it's refreshing. Also, Lawler is so bad, it's almost second nature to cheer against him.

Quote:
morrison/truth are still a thing. alrighty. they seem to like truth in baltimore.
I'm hoping this is all and Morrison is moving back to Raw, but we shall see.

Quote:
that was a total time killer to get more names on the card.
I guess that's the positive of having big names with the tag titles.

Quote:
"i got hair like serena, its just not on my head" - king. maaaagnificent.

Quote:
serena throws a more convincing punt than randy orton.
Yup.

Quote:
wow, and punker won. nice. that was a good match. and the interference was fine, it fits the whole followers part of the gimmick.
It does, especially since the entire purpose of the stable is that these people 'worship' Punk. It's a nice change from the babyface overcoming the odds every single month.

Quote:
man jtgs hair. there are no words.

Quote:
im just befuddled by the logic of the entire storyline.
I know which match you are talking about, but this could probably be applied to 99.9% of WWE feuds after 2004. Or 1994. Or 1984.

Quote:
so as he comes to the ring, they say swagger has lost to undertaker and morrison since winning the belt. and the hype video showed him losing 2 in a row to orton. way to book your new up and coming champ.
Ahhh, the continuation of 'THE TITLE MAKES THE MAN, PAL!'

Quote:
swagger is damn good. it really baffles me that vince didnt see the money in this guy.
The anti-manager edict really hurt Swagger. Shockingly, he got REALLY FUCKING OVER when they had someone talking for him in a few years.

Quote:
nice. a clean swagger win. hes a stud, im interested to see what derailed this push. because a clean win over orton, is usually a sign that theyre all in on a guy. and they booked him well in this match.
I actually know what derailed it, and if you can think of the worst possible outcome, that's what it is.

Quote:
and sheamus comes out as orton is walking up the ramp. they stare at each other, undoubtedly to foreshadow that.
I'm so excited to see that again.

Quote:
so sheamus' razors edge is called pale justice. aha.
I think they ended up calling it something different in the video games, so this one might not last long.

Quote:
even if sheamus wins this match, it took him approximately 3 and a half hours (or maybe thats just the way it feels) to beat a guy youre selling as having only one arm. how much will that really do for him?
It'll keep him strong enough for Hunter to beat him at SumSla, PAL!

Quote:
our champion, our hero, triple h stumbles out without taking the medical help. and sheamus runs out and bangs him with another brogue kick. cole is downright sickened by it.
How bad is it that I'm actually looking forward to HELL MICHAEL COLE to freshen him up?

Quote:
but beth and mccool were perfectly acceptable. maybe next month you just give them a straight 1 on 1 without a ridiculous stipulation?
I agree, somewhat. I feel like the stip just sucked the life out of everything they tried to do, but...yeah, I get it. The wrestling stuff was fine.

Quote:
matthews interviewing jericho. he lost to an nxt rookie. they didnt say which one. eventually they reveal its heath slater. not barrett. not ryback. not daniel fuckin bryan. heath slater. alright.
It's easily forgotten after all these years, but Heath Slater was actually a pretty big prospect for them. Decent look, could talk, an actual moveset. I mean, his eventual value was as a comedy guy, but he was great at that, too.

Quote:
just once, i wanna see somebody just walk out of the cage 2 minutes in. edge goes head first into the cage going for a spear. jericho should just walk over to the door and walk out. match over. done. show logic in one of these things for once.
Or seriously, 2 minutes. Edge waits in the cage. Jericho walks in cocky that Edge is limping. Spear hits immediately. Pin. Over. That's ALL WE NEEDED here. Edge gets his revenge, it fits Jericho's character, and we don't get another 15 minute cage match, and THEN Jericho can do the whiny stuff on commentary about how he wasn't ready and whatever. That makes a whole lot more sense.

Quote:
they like to use the term "big fight feel" til you take enough shots to kill your liver, but this does feel like a legit main event.
Indeed, it did. Especially after the crowd was completely dead from the moment Orton lost until the start here.

Quote:
"i hate you batista" - some kids
"i hate you too" - the immortal hollywood dave
magnificent
Truth.

Quote:
"this is the batista i like!" - striker. and then dave throws the tv at him. he gets better every second.
I'm going miss Dave. He gets the best run of his career right before he takes his show to Hollywood.

Quote:
the supercena spots got a touch tedious, in particular the batista bomb, where he just laid there til 9 and then popped up like nothing. but creative ending that kept both guys strong.
I guess so. It's not like Dave wasn't doing the same thing. AA'd through the table, gets up at 9. Walks in and spinebusters Cena through the table. I guess it's just the way the WWE books these things.

Quote:
and like i said, i dig the ending.
Edge and Christian had a cage match in 2001 with a similar ending where Edge used his wrist tape to keep Christian from touching the floor, so maybe that's why it didn't hold up for me. I've seen the same finish before.

Quote:
that was a solid card. 3 3+ star matches, with a 4th that wouldve been if not for a weak ending. swagger is legit good, i really dont see why this wasnt the start of something big for him.
Huh. I mean, I went **** for Punk/Rey and ***+ for two other matches, and I came out unimpressed. Maybe not watching in one sitting burned it for me, because going through HHH/Sheamus, Edge/Jericho and the terrible women's gimmick after the good start just fell flat, on my end.
Hammer (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:35 AM

Hammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond repute

"Truth gets a chant, because Hammer's entire family is in the crowd cheering for him."

ha. could you imagine a 5 hour card of truth vs kenny omega! ratings pally! my family isnt black though, so i doubt they were in baltimore alas.

"Lawler: "I've got hair like Serena, it's just not on my head..." Oh my god, King. "It's on my back!" *sigh* "

i guess i zoned out after the first part of the statement, because i definitely didnt hear the on my back part. i almost turned the entire ppv off right there in general though.

"
I totally forgot about Joey Matthews here, and it made me enjoy this match so much more. This blew away anything at Mania, as they never slipped into excess and still had convincing nearfalls. I'll go ****1/4 for it. I might be able to be talked up into ****1/2, but I'm obligiated to remove a quarter for the interference, whether it makes sense in the story or not. Great stuff by both guys, as Punk is a natural heel and Rey is completely rejuvenated by this feud."

wow you really loved it. and i liked next months match even better, so im intrigued to see how youre gonna go on that one.

"- Cole calls the attacker, "The Stranger". If this was Buff Bagwell, I would probably markout. (I know it's not.)"

it wouldve been the greatest gimmick in wrestling history, if after he hit that suplex, he stopped and did the buff pose, before going back under the ring.

"Striker says he's from New York, and a quick check of Wiki shows he's from Queens. Does that even really count?"

ahh youre a shithead. queens is definitely the 3rd toughest boro. people forget we have st albans, and a lot of people get killed there.

"but Vince probably walked past Shad one day and said, "MAN! HE'S A HOSS! PUSH HIM, PAL!""

bingo

"I remember who Swagger loses the belt to, and it ain't Orton, so..."

why am i getting a bad feeling about this...

"Well, the pace was slow, but I actually kinda liked this. And I totally wasn't expecting to. It was a great story of Swagger being the better man in the ring, and Orton being the better man on the outside. The finish was clean and logicical, too, and made Swagger look like a million bucks. If only he had heat. ***1/2 from me for fantastic story telling. Swagger celebrates, and Orton hits the RKO on the outside, to drop it down to ***1/4. Fuck off, Orton, you whiny little bitch. "

honestly i didnt even hate the rko. not that he needed it, it got him some heat back. and maybe i was already numbed by the fact that swagger won the belt, and then lost 4 times by pinfall, from wrestlemania to the very next ppv. so my hopes werent high.

"I'm tapping out for now, because I'm assuming this match is getting 15 minutes or so. "

good decision.

"HHH is finally stretchered out, and I can't wait until Summerslam where he makes his triumphant return to beat Sheamus."

dont know for sure if this is what happens, but it seems 100% likely now that you bring it up.

"This was waaaay too long, dull and boring. I'll say **, but I'm probably overrating it. "

after reading your description of the match i think i overrated it a lot. i mightve been falling asleep during this match now that i think about it, because i remember getting up to get ice cream from the fridge for batista/cena to wake up a little bit. i know i hated the ending, i mightve just got sucked into "hey that springboard codebreaker was a cool spot" and my mind was on autopilot. the couple day break should do me well for the next ppv.

"All the leg work meant absolutely nothing"

cena baby

"I'm so tempted to drop every match that Lawler annoys me on a quarter"

ha

"Huh. I mean, I went **** for Punk/Rey and ***+ for two other matches, and I came out unimpressed. Maybe not watching in one sitting burned it for me, because going through HHH/Sheamus, Edge/Jericho and the terrible women's gimmick after the good start just fell flat, on my end. "

im starting to think that i just went into auto pilot after punk/rey and swagger/orton.

"I guess so. It's not like Dave wasn't doing the same thing. AA'd through the table, gets up at 9. Walks in and spinebusters Cena through the table. I guess it's just the way the WWE books these things. "

yea but dave would work his way up. there was one, where cena literally laid there til 9, and then blasted up. meh, whatever.

"I actually know what derailed it, and if you can think of the worst possible outcome, that's what it is. "

christ now im really getting a bad feeling. it could be a myriad of things. hunter or taker squashing him in 4 minutes. a re-push of kane for no reason whatsoever? the ending of the feud that started at over the limit?
Formerly Known (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM

Formerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond repute

So I do have some insight into why Swagger did two jobs, instead of one leading up to Extreme Rules. I turned on the 2010 WWE Draft episode of Raw to fall asleep to, and the week before...

https://www.wwe.com/inside/news/14172472

So they just had Taker go over Swagger for a make-good for the live fans, since they lost the entire build up night of Raw.
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

I didn't finish watching the show, but I figured I'd post this before I move on to Over The Limit, using Wiki to fill in what I missed.

2010 WWE Draft
To Raw
- John Morrison (Battle Royale won by Dibiase and Santino)
- R-Truth (Battle Royale won by Dibiase and Santino)
- Edge (Battle Royale won by Dibiase and Santino)
- Chris Jericho (Hornswoggle defeated...Dolph Ziggler...to get this pick for Raw.)
- The Great Khali (w/Runjin Singh)
- Natalya (Supplemental Draft)
- Ezekiel Jackson (Supplemental Draft)
- Goldust (Supplemental Draft)
- Tyson Kidd (Supplemental Draft)
- DH Smith (Supplemental Draft)

To Smackdown
- Kelly Kelly (LayCool over Maryse/Eve)
- Big Show (CM Punk over Evan Bourne)
- Kofi Kingston (Jericho over Christian)
- Christian (Swagger over Morrison)
- Chavo Guerrero Jr. (Supplemental Draft)
- Cody Rhodes (Supplemental Draft)
- Chris Masters (Supplemental Draft)
- Hornswoggle (Supplemental Draft)
- Rosa Mendes (Supplemental Draft)
- MVP (Supplemental Draft)

Nothing there seems overly interesting, except maybe Cody and Christian moving to Smackdown, and Morrison moving to Raw.
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
omega vs tanahashi for the iwgp title
okada vs white
jericho vs naito for the ic title
ibushi vs ospreay for the never title
god vs sanada/evil for the hvywt tag titles
desperado/kanemaru vs roppongi 3k vs takagi/bushi for the jr hvywt tag titles
kushida vs ishimori for the jr hvywt title
bucks officially added to god vs lij, cody vs juice robinson rematch for the us title, and ishii vs zsj for the rev pro british heavyweight title. and the battle royal is gone for the typical 6 man gauntlet match, but this year its just for number 1 contender since the champs are in other matches. ishii vs zsj should be tremendo!
Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

Through 3 matches. Food break, and maybe a nap before finishing up later.

Over The Limit 2010
I've seen nothing from this show, and I only know of two matches from falling asleep to Raws in the era (Edge/Orton and Mizicho/Harts). So this should be a completely interesting, fresh show with no Taker, HBK or HHH on it, right?

Quick Ratings
Spoiler

Full Thoughts
Spoiler

Last edited by Formerly Known; Yesterday at 11:15 AM.
Old Today, 07:43 AM

fatal 4 way 2010

Spoiler
Old Today, 03:06 PM

progress chapter 9... ricochet vs zack sabre jr vs mark haskins. awesome awesome. theres been a couple good matches so far since i started watching from the beginning, marty vs zsj from chapter 1 comes to mind, but this was the first truly great match.

and there was a debut in the 1st match of the night, of a slightly smaller and less tattooed kid named tommy end. he was pretty good. wonder if he ever made anything of himself.