GM League  

Go Back   GM League > Forums > Other Sports

Other Sports All the other stuff not covered. Also includes Fantasy Baseball & Fantasy Hockey

Old 12-06-2018, 10:26 AM

Thanked 2,363 Times in 1,841 Posts
Groans: 46
Groaned at 72 Times in 70 Posts
Hammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond repute

wrestlemania 26

Spoiler
Old 12-06-2018, 01:32 PM
2016 & 2017 Mach Draft Contest Winner

Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,154 Posts
Groans: 178
Groaned at 126 Times in 121 Posts
Formerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond repute

All done, and moving on to Backlash after I read Hammer's thoughts.

Wrestlemania 26

- So I've seen 3 matches from this show (MITB, Bret/Vince and HBK/Taker) so it should be relatively fresh.

Quick Ratings
Spoiler

Full Thoughts
Spoiler

Final Summation
Spoiler

Last edited by Formerly Known; 12-08-2018 at 03:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Formerly Known For This Useful Post:
Hammer (12-08-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 05:20 PM

Hammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond reputeHammer has a reputation beyond repute

i felt the exact same way on bret/vince, but it was like 6:30 and i had to go back to work at 7:30. i went food shopping just to recharge. that mightve been the worst "match" in the timeline so far.
Formerly Known (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018, 09:40 PM

Formerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond reputeFormerly Known has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
i felt the exact same way on bret/vince, but it was like 6:30 and i had to go back to work at 7:30. i went food shopping just to recharge. that mightve been the worst "match" in the timeline so far.
I've always said Taker/Shane is the worst Mania match of all time, but I wasn't remembering this match right. I thought it was more of a push for Tyson and DH, and they did basically one move.

Revisionist history, I guess.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:04 PM

So I got up to Taker/Shawn and had to wrap up for the night. A little cleaning needed done before I head out.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:17 AM

extreme rules 2010

Spoiler
Formerly Known (12-10-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
man that ramp is fucking long. they needed to extend this to 4 hours just to give taker time to get down the ramp.
I love how they just put his elevator thing in the middle of the ramp in later years so he didn't have to walk all the way up after his matches. Wouldn't it make sense for him to do Bikertaker and just ride the motorcycle down, if they have him do anymore matches.

Quote:
according to witlon, my favorite wrestler the truth ron killings. white people in the front row dancing to this terribleness. oh white people.
I'm assuming you're going ***** for this, because Killings > Omega.

Quote:
im sure shawn is thrilled that matt striker and not jr is gonna call his last match (til they got that saudi money baby!)
I think JR had another bout with Bells Palsy and that's why he left. But on the plus side, at least it was Striker and not JBL!

Quote:
9 years since tag titles have changed hands at wrestlemania. i thought for sure he was gonna say 9 years since the tag titles were defended at wrestlemania.
Wouldn't have shocked me if it had been 6, because I remember Wrestlemania 20 so well, and they had the terrible four ways for both sets of tag titles.

Quote:
that is some terrible outfit hes wearing.
I wonder if just throwing him in polka dots would've been better than that outfit. It's too close to call.

Quote:
you know, sometimes i think back, and i wonder... what if this match was orton vs rhodes vs manu. what couldve been...
I'm sure I'll see that match on repeat when I get to hell.

Quote:
seriously though, how shitty was manu, that dibiase and rhodes are considerable upgrades.
I mean, I feel like Dibiase has *something*, but I have no idea what it is, I don't know that the company ever figured it out, either. Cody is a fine tag wrestler, but as a singles, meh. Truthfully, he's just a lesser version of his brother in all ways.

Quote:
"perhaps a future wrestlemania main event right here, cody rhodes and ted dibiase" cody rhodes in this timeline has been so terrible, its making me rethink me liking him in the current day. i dont wanna see these two main event velocity.
Agreed, but if Cody signs with WWE next year, and gets a six man main event in the next two years, I totally wouldn't be shocked. Thankfully, the 'Dashing' gimmick helped him out tremendously and gave him a purpose.

Quote:
"the last of the 10 men to qualify" oof, this gonna be large.
I'm so glad they switched Money In The Bank to its own show, because trying to shove all these guys into Mania really hurt the match qualities.

Quote:
christian, tremendous upgrade. and he actually got a reaction, which is more than i can say for pretty much everyone else. christian is my hope, swagger is my guess, because i remember him holding the world title and i think this was too early for zigglers mitb win.
Correct. Good call.

Quote:
i dont even recall seeing much of shelton, and hes like the goddamn mvp of this match typically.
Yup. I kept forgetting who was in the match until they'd pop up and do a spot and then disappear again.

Quote:
man bobby heenan was right, theres an awful lot of gremlins in the hart family.
Reading Bret's book makes it even worse than just the looks. I think Stu's wrestling personality just rubbed off on every single one of them.

Quote:
inoki looks like he could still go.
Thankfully, you're writing this 8 years later and he's not getting any ideas from this post.

Quote:
the commentator for progress, when talking about eddie dennis (who is now on nxt:uk) "hes 6'6", which in wwe terms, means hes 9'3"."
If Eddie Dennis is 6'6", then he's legit 125 pounds.

Quote:
a fan in the crowd is calling hhh's spots before he does them.
I used to do that with Kane and RVD matches, and my friends would always look at me like I had no life.

Quote:
id be curious how much longer after this match, hunter convinces sheamus to change his finish to the brogue kick.
That'd be so 2003 HHH. 'Change your finish to the kick so we always have footage of me kicking out of two of them if you leave the company!'

Quote:
is that an avatar outfit for rey?

and cole confirms its avatar. what a shitty movie.
Well, at least you actually saw it. Truthfully, I don't know that I saw a trailer until last year when I was going through YouTube videos.

Quote:
they definitely didnt book this card for match quality. at least not yet.
It's weird that on all of these longer shows, we get the more drawn out and better matches the next month. You would think the extra time would be added to make matches better, but nope. MOMENTS, PAL!

Quote:
vince out with a microphone. and that old fucker is looking jacked. i want his steroids man, the shit i use doesnt do that kind of job.
Totally. I'd definitely try them out if I could guarantee they were going to work THAT well for me.

Quote:
champ out first.
I've come to accept it as long as they're doing the boxing intros. On non-World Title matches...fuck off.

Quote:
recap of wrestlemania 26 battle royal. it came down to fucking zack ryder vs yoshitatsu, with yoshitatsu winning. what in the world. still probably better than bret/vince though.
They have William fucking Regal in the match and go with Yoshi Tatsu? I know they're trying to pander to Inoki, but come the fuck on. At least the Japan guys would get treated better in the future. Like, they can win Royal Rumbles and stuff...and then choke at Wrestlemania. Side note, news came out today that Asuka's renewed push is because Vince was SHOCKED that she got a bigger reaction than Charlotte when they needed a Becky replacement. The old man is nuts, I tell ya.

Quote:
maryse is just terrible at wrestling.
I wonder if her push was to make Pat Patterson happy or something?

Quote:
the cheer-boo punch spot, and the crowd seems to be in favor of batista.
Heel Dave is so awesome, I'm shocked even the kids were cheering for Cena.

Quote:
i gotta be honest if i sat front row at wrestlemania like that, i can only hope im half as enthusiastic as this guy. good for him.
Amen to that. With that being said, though, after all of the indy shows and stuff, I'd be so dead by Mania night, I'd just want the weekend to be over now.

Quote:
regardless, that was easily the best match of the night thus far. they got their spots in, but they added some spice to it.
Agreed. It feels like they have a great match in them, but this wasn't quite there yet. Great chemistry betwen them, though.

Quote:
taker/shawn up next. rematch of witlons most overrated match ever. or is it omega/okada? lets just call it a tie for first, eh?
I've only seen the first Omega/Okada, and I went ***1/2. My general hatred for it is because of Meltzer's fanboy shit on NJPW.

Quote:
from first gong, to the lights coming on, it was 2 minutes, 56-57 seconds. to bell, it was over 4 minutes, 15 seconds.
Bah, missed this one. It felt like Taker had a good pace here, actually. Maybe I was more hyped for this match than I thought?

Quote:
it takes away a little now, knowing that the saudis got shawn out of retirement, but suck it, its still awesome.
I think 8 years is the longest any retirement stip ever lasted in wrestling, so I'm fine with it.

Quote:
4.25 stars: taker/shawn
I'm...strangely fine with that rating. I don't like to argue star ratings, because they're all personal preference, but, you liked the ending sequence and I didn't, and that's the 100% difference in the star rating. That being said, I've been paused on Shawn tearfully looking at the crowd for the time it's taken me to react to this, and it's taking willpower to not dock it another quarter star.

Last edited by Formerly Known; 12-08-2018 at 03:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Formerly Known For This Useful Post:
Hammer (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 04:20 AM

"One pick the Jets didn't completely fuck up! (The best Jets first rounder in the last 25 years, maybe? I know Shelly and Mo were good, but...) "

well, first... darrelle revis.

second, only because of the return we got for him. he was a good football player, but we all remember keyshawn more for calling wayne chrebet "a flashlight in the dark" more than anything he did on the field. but getting 2 1sts for him... one that turned into john abraham... that helps. sadly, keyshawn, abraham, shelly, mo... none of them played more than 6 or 7 seasons here. we stink.

(the other pick we got for him turned into anthony becht... so we dont bring that one up really)

"Cole: 'During the streak, Taker has defeated 10 former world champions.' Well, that sounds like a challenge! (Nash 96, Sid 97, Kane 98, HHH '01, Flair '02, Big Show '03, Orton '05, Batista '07, Edge '08, Shawn '09. I don't think they're counting Henry as ECW champ, and they didn't count Kane twice, so, they could've fudged it and said he beat 12 champions at Mania.)"

you got some memory man.

"Boot to the gut by Taker and a Last Ride is...countered? Or Taker's leg buckled or something. Shawn gets a counter for two. Replay shows it was kinda like an elevated X-Factor, if I'm giving it credit. "

agreed all around. if we're being nice thats allowed to be an x-factor.

"Taker clears off the announce table and Robinson counts both men out to end the streak. Good finish. The streak is over and Shawn is gone. ***1/2. "

hah. i legit cackled. im a child.

"I did like it more than 25, and I liked it more than the last time I watched it, but calling it anything better than good would be a faulty proposition for me. (Note: ***1/2 is the same rating I gave Omega/Okada 1.)"

hammers match of the day... kenny omega vs kazuchika okada dominion. of course, make sure you have like an hour and a half to watch, since the match is 2 out of 3 falls and its goes like an hour and 10.

im joking on that of course, if youre not a fan of the njpw, youre gonna hate it.

also, i need to start being patient and not reading your review before its finished. i always end up getting antsy and reading whatever you have up. in this case, i read all the stuff up to bret/vince this afternoon. boo on me. in any case, that was a pretty weak card anyway, aside from dave/cena and taker/shawn, so there probably isnt much to relive anyway.

oh....

"If Eddie Dennis is 6'6", then he's legit 125 pounds. "

i dont know what he looks like now (i dont really watch nxt:uk, though im sure ill get into it right around the time for their first takeover), but when he in progress in 2013 or so, he had a small beer belly, so i wouldve guessed about 180 honestly. but yea, theres not much mass there. i could buy him as 6'6" just based on progress though, because he was legit 4-5 inches taller than everyone else. of course, that doesnt say much when nobody else in the company is over 6'0".

Last edited by Hammer; 12-08-2018 at 04:23 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hammer For This Useful Post:
Formerly Known (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 04:23 AM

I'll pencil in Omega/Okada for June 9th in advance. Hour long matches are such a bore to me these days, though.

I like the idea of giving a full write up to a classic on the anniversary of it.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:34 AM

"I mean, I feel like Dibiase has *something*, but I have no idea what it is, I don't know that the company ever figured it out, either. "

theres definitely something there. they definitely see something too, they put him in that movie pretty much right away. hes just so dreadfully boring in the ring though. and his charisma is non-existent. in the ring, on the mic, probably just walking down the street... hes just an absolute black hole on enjoyment.

"Agreed, but if Cody signs with WWE next year, and gets a six man main event in the next two years, I totally wouldn't be shocked."

im kinda buying this whole new company with him, the bucks, hangman and omega. at the same time, when that wwe money comes calling.

"Well, at least you actually saw it. Truthfully, I don't know that I saw a trailer until last year when I was going through YouTube videos. "

dont waste your time. id rather watch bret/vince over and over again for whatever the length of the movie was. i think the movie was like 2 and a half hours... so id have to watch bret/vince like 1 and 3/4ers times?

"Side note, news came out today that Asuka's renewed push is because Vince was SHOCKED that she got a bigger reaction than Charlotte when they needed a Becky replacement. The old man is nuts, I tell ya. "

you hear these stories about him being so out of touch, that you kinda laugh and go "no, theres no way." thats how we ignore braun strowman being the most over guy in the company, to put brock and roman over him, and lose all the steam on the guy! now hes feuding with baron corbin. oops.